Rowing for Rehabilitation for Cancer Survivors
Check out some photos from over the years...
The Annapolis Rowing Club (ARC) offers a free sweep rowing program to help cancer survivors achieve their highest potential in physical function, pain relief and quality of life.
The goals of ARC's Strokes4Survivors (S4S) program are:
- to improve strength and endurance after diagnosis and treatment;
- to provide unique, free support group for cancer survivors in the community;
- to evoke a "stress-free" environment to learn, exercise, heal, and socialize with other survivors;
- to offer a fun, safe, and supportive way for cancer survivors to stay fit and healthy; and
- to prove that beating cancer is more than just living through it, it's about thriving beyond!
Who can join S4S?
Strokes4Survivors is a group open to both men and women with a history of any type of cancer. Whether survivors are occasional exercisers, weekend warriors, competitive athletes or something in between, Annapolis Rowing Club's coaches, support volunteers, and club members are committed to helping them safely achieve their fitness goals.
S4S participants must:
- Be 14 years of age or older
- Be able to swim
- Provide a signed Doctor's release and supplemental questionnaire - Found Here! (Please Print and Bring with you!)
- (Registration for 2015 will open soon. The S4S 2015 Program is scheduled to begin in June!)
ARC is able to offer the Strokes4Survivors program Completely Free of Cost thanks to club fundraising, generous local business support, and personal donations!
Whether a business or member of the community and if you would like to support our program with a financial or in-kind donation, please visit our Donation Page.
The program meets for an Annual S4S Kick-Off as well as approximately 11 Tuesday evening sessions throughout the rowing season (weather and schedule permitting). New members are highly encouraged to attend both sessions of the Annual S4S Kickoff. Please Contact Renee Bremer for scheduling conflicts.
Participants are encouraged but not required to attend every weekly session. The coaches strive to provide classes that can accommodate survivors who wish to participate in any level of the program from a few sessions to all sessions.
The Program Kick-Off event will be held
Thursday, June 11th at 6:00 pm
Annapolis Rowing Club
(at the Gingerville Yachting Center)
2802 Solomons Island Road
Edgewater, MD 21037
Scheduled Rowing Days are Tuesdays, From 6:15 pm to 8:30 pm
The Program runs June - October(weather permitting)
6/11, 6/16, 6/30
8/4, 8/18, 8/25
9/1, 9/15, 9/22, 9/29